Thursday, September 29, 2016

What're the Little Gold Chips on Our Debit Cards For?

You've probably had the awkward experience of purchasing an item at a store, swiping your debit or credit card, and having the cashier tell you, "Please insert your chip." Or maybe you've inserted your card's chip only to have the cashier say, "Please swipe." 

Actually, you've most likely experienced both instances, assuming you buy things at stores and don't dumpster-dive or shoplift or subsist solely on manna from heaven. If you're like me, you've probably wondered what the little golden chip on my debit card was, how it works, or if people are just full of hot air when they tell you it's "safer."


So I googled what the skinny on these chips were figuring it had something to do with computer science, and (for once) I was right. Here's how it works, and how it apparently protects us consumers against fraud:

Interestingly enough, it turns out that much like marriage equality and affordable healthcare, cards with chips are a global trend that America has been slow to adopt. They've already been used for years by over 80 other countries. They're called EMV cards (the acronym stands for Europay, MasterCard, and Visa) or smart cards. (They might be smart, but are they smart enough to know why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch? I doubt it.)

Cards that use magnetic stripes on the back--that's how we've normally been doing it--store data that stays exactly the same with each new purchase. Therefore, any old counterfeiter with access to that data could use it to uncover enough information about the cardholder to make purchases under their name, which would not be all too favorable.

But EMV chips are different. Every time it's used for a new purchase, the chip creates a new transaction code that can never be used again. So even if a hacker gets his or her hands on that sweet, sweet, data, it won't matter a lick, because the next time the customer buys something, the card will use an entirely new set of data.

"The introduction of dynamic data is what makes EMV cards so effective at bringing down counterfeit card rates in other countries," says Julie Conroy, research director for retail banking at Aite Group, a financial industry research company.

I really hadn't a clue about any of this stuff before reading about it. Now I'm pretty okay with inserting a computer chip on my card, even if it does take a little longer than swiping a mag stripe. I guess this all just goes to show how important--and powerful--data is.

I bet this teen social outcast from the 90s who's brandishing her credit card really wished she could travel to the mid-2010s and use an EMV chip card, because clearly so much of her money's been stolen by counterfeiters that she can't even afford an undershirt. Shame, really.



(I just wanted to use a weird stock photo, okay?)



Sources


3 comments:

  1. Hi Hunter! I am really interested in this topic, since we're using the credit cards all day around. I had the same question when I used the credit cards before and I did not know how the gold chips work. I am surprised that the EMV chip could change the code every time when people insert the card so it's such a nice protection for the card security. And this strategy could bring down the counterfeit rate as you mentioned.
    Shuzhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hunter, great article. I actually wrote one very similar about cellular payment methods, specifically Apple Pay. It turns out these two payment advancements actually work very similarly despite being on completely different platforms!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered how the security of these chips works! I hate it every time I buy something at a store, swipe my card, and then they tell me to I have to insert it in the machine. I know, it's really not a big deal. It's good to know now that they're working to end card theft caused by hackers. Great post!

    ReplyDelete